MVCC Meeting Notes


Agenda

  1. Call to order (Dana Hanna, MVCC)
  2. Vote to ratify revised MVCC bylaws (Dana Hanna, MVCC)
  3. Election of new board members (Dana Hanna, MVCC)
  4. Emergency preparedness and neighborhood safety update (Cherie Sato, MVCC)
  5. Upcoming events (Cherie Sato, MVCC)

Vote to Ratify revised MVCC bylaws

  • Changes to existing bylaws and the events along the timeline for the current revision were summarized by Dana Hanna. This timeline included three feedback periods for members. A summary is available under the BYLAWS section of the MVCC website.
  • A comparison chart of key points, put together by Cherie Sato, was handed out to attendees. Full text of the old bylaws and the proposed revised bylaws were also made available for those who wanted to review. This information is also available under the BYLAWS section of the MVCC website.
  • A motion to ratify the new bylaws as written was made by Dana Hanna. Cherie Sato seconded. We then opened the floor for clarifying questions on the vote, asking that members limit each question to one minute or less due to time constraints. Questions were submitted by:
    • Jerry Sussman
    • Py Bateman
    • Paddy McDonald
    • Candis Castle
    • Jen Sorensen
  • After 15 minutes of questions, Dana Hanna moved to close discussion, and that motion was seconded by Cherie Sato. called to close discussion and. Results:
    • 16 yay
    • 5 nay
    • 1 abstention
  • Upon the successful vote to close discussion, a vote on the motion to ratify the bylaws was taken. Results:
    • 16 yay
    • 5 nay
    • 1 abstention
  • The revised bylaws were ratified. The meeting resumed under the rules of the new bylaws.

Vote to Elect New Board Members

  • Since the new bylaws allow us to have up to ten board members, we now have seven open board slots. Sarah Trethewey volunteered to fill one of those slots. She introduced herself to the group, and a vote was taken. Results:
    • 13 yay
    • 1 nay
    • 3 abstentions
  • Sarah is now part of MVCC's board of directors. 

Emergency Preparedness and Neighborhood Safety

  • Cherie requested volunteers for the Emergency Preparedness Committee. Paddy McDonald volunteered.
  • Cherie showed examples of some neighborhood safety signs being offered by the city. About ten people were interested in getting them. Cherie will order an assortment and distribute them at our next meeting. They may require specific fasteners for display on telephone poles to accommodate city worker safety.
  • Stephen Smith gave a quick update on the Map Your Neighborhood program.
    • Open discussion on the best place in the neighborhood for an emergency gathering place. MLK FAME had been discussed, but it's in a liquefaction zone, so probably not the best place for it.
  • Proposal to invite the Red Cross for a presentation at the next meeting.

Upcoming Events

  • July 15th: blood drive and bike tune up event with Madison Park Community Council
    • May need volunteers for blood drive. Need to pre-register to volunteer on their website. We will post more info on Facebook and the MVCC website when we get it.
  • TBD: crime prevention seminar from Seattle Police Department's East Precinct

19 April 2017


08 March 2017

Agenda

  • Update on status of SPARKS grants (Penelope Karovsky, MVCC)
  • Discussion / vote on revised MVCC by-laws (Dana Hanna, MVCC)
  • Presentation of Madison Park BRT planning (Jeff Lundstrom, BRT)
  • "Map Your Neighborhood" disaster preparedness project (Stephen Smith)

1. Sparks Grants (Penelope Karovsky)

  • MVCC has received two grants so far, and we're applying for more.
  • We have submitted a grant proposal for a traffic calming circle on East Arthur Place.

2. Revised By-Laws (Dana Hanna)

  • MVCC's current by-laws are not in compliance with non-profit law.
  • MVCC officers have worked with the Center for Non-Profit Law in Eugene, Oregon, to draft revisions that bring us into compliance.
  • No feedback was received in advance of the meeting, but written comments were submitted at the meeting. The written comments are displayed below.
IMG_0771.JPG
  • Officers requested that any further feedback be sent over email to MVCC officers.
  • Go-forward plan:
    • Dana will incorporate feedback received in the form of redlines to the current draft.
    • We will publish the redlines on this website and solicit more feedback from the community.
    • We will iterate the redlines with counsel to make sure all revisions allow us to remain in compliance with non-profit law and best practices.
    • We will call another meeting of MVCC in April to discuss, and hopefully ratify.

3. Notification of MVCC meetings

  • This was not on the agenda, but a member brought up concerns about how members are notified of MVCC meetings.
  • Currently, we give at least two weeks' notice of meetings through the following channels:
  • We do not currently have the budget to send meeting notifications by US mail or by hand-distribution.
  • Going forward, we'll endeavor to notify the Madison Park Times of upcoming meetings in advance of their editorial deadlines, which will give us one more channel for those who do not communicate online.

4. Madison Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Presentation (Jeff Lundstrom)

  • A question and answer period followed. Major points:
    • Concerns over safety of 60' articulated buses, especially for cyclists. Current buses regularly cross over median at MLK and Madison. BRT will be reviewing safety at each point of the line and will be modifying the Madison / MLK intersection in accordance. Buses need to be 60' to meet route capacity goals.
    • Question on whether BRT is part of Metro. Metro owns and operates buses. They are partnered with BRT. Buses will be branded 'Rapid Ride' and the BRT will be called 'Rapid Ride G'.
    • What will the turnaround at MLK look like?
      • Eastbound buses stop before MLK, all passengers exit.
      • Buses then turn right on MLK and use the turnaround behind Essential. Turnaround will be modified to accommodate bus size.
      • Drivers will take their layovers / breaks at this turnaround.
      • Buses will then turn left back out to MLK and take a left on Madison.
    • Concerns that this is not a good place for a turnaround. BRT has not been able to find a more appropriate place.
    • There will be a new traffic signal at East Harrison and MLK with pedestrian crosswalks.
    • Some trees along the route will need to be removed for safety. BRT will put back two trees for every one removed, as close to the same block as possible.
    • The 11 bus will connect the BRT to Madison Park.
    • All traffic lights along the route will be smart signals with sensors and bus prioritization to improve traffic flow.

5. Map Your Neighborhood Program (Stephen Smith)

  • Stephen is working with a small group of neighbors on the Map Your Neighborhood program. The program focuses on bringing close neighbors together to improve disaster preparedness.
    • Organizers put together maps of 15-20 dwellings, find skills that exist in those households, and organize for earthquake preparedness. 
    • Stephen is working on kits to keep in homes that include boots, water, protection, and more.
    • MLK FAME could be a good rally point and place to store provisions.
  • For more information:

Officers present:

  • Penelope Karovsky (President)
  • Dana Hanna (Vice-President)

Agenda:

  1. Open office – Secretary
  2. Distinctions between MVCC, MVMA, SMV organizations
  3. New MVCC by-laws and website
  4. Treasurer’s report
  5. New MVCC projects / committees

Open office – secretary

  • The office of secretary for MVCC is currently vacant.
  • Only the organization’s secretary is legally allowed to change names on the non-profit’s bank account, which needs to be done at this point. So we need to elect a new or acting secretary for this meeting.
  • Dana Hanna is nominated as acting secretary. Nomination is seconded.
  • A vote is taken – all in favor, none opposed.
  • Dana Hanna is the new acting secretary of MVCC.

Distinctions between MVCC, MVMA, and SMV organizations

  • The Greater Madison Valley Community Council (MVCC) is a tax-deductible non-profit created to improve the quality of life in the Madison Valley neighborhood.
  • The Madison Valley Merchants Association (MVMA) is a completely separate non-profit. Donations to MVMA are not tax-deductible.
  • Save Madison Valley (SMV) is another completely separate non-profit formed by residents of Madison Valley, centered around responsible development in the area.
  • Although these organizations share some members and officers, they are completely separate non-profit organizations. They do not share donations, and they may have different goals.
  • The website madisonvalley.org has previously collected donations for both MVMA and MVCC. That’s no longer the case. The madisonvalley.org site is no longer associated with MVCC. We are creating a new website for MVCC.
  • Meetings of MVMA and MVCC have been combined for a time due to thin attendance. MVCC will now have meetings completely separate of MVMA meetings.

New MVCC by-laws and website

  • The new elected officials of MVCC hired non-profit counsel, David Atkins, to review MVCC’s compliance with non-profit law. Out of the review came a recommendation to update our by-laws, which were one page long and had been drafted originally in 1989.
  • Our new by-laws will be available for viewing on our Facebook group, and eventually our website (madisonvalleycommunitycouncil.org). Highlights:
    • We will be moving public meetings to once per quarter.
    • We’ll eventually build a board of directors in addition to the current elected officers. Ideally, these board members head committees devoted to various neighborhood projects. (Ron Flynn, facilities manager for MLK FAME, is interested in joining!)
    • We are required to keep a list of members along with their email addresses and/or addresses. Because of this, we can’t define membership as anyone who lives within a certain geographic area. Members actually have to sign up. This can be done by joining the Facebook group, by coming to a public meeting and signing in, by emailing a council officer, or other ways to be defined later.
    • We can have voting and non-voting members. Voting members will elect the new council officers every year. We have not yet determined what, if anything, separates voting and non-voting members. Feedback welcome.
    • The new by-laws have not yet been formally adopted. We will post publicly and take feedback over Facebook / email and at at the next public meeting.
    • The geographic area we serve will be updated in the by-laws and on the new website.
    • Questions:
      • Can the community council take votes and represent the community with the city?
        • Response from Lindy Wishard: Yes. Any group can. Previously there was a formal system but the body has been disbanded (district councils). Lots of unknowns as to what will happen to district councils. Some are staying together but no longer have the same codified voice as before as per initiative from the Mayor.
      • What is the best way to keep the most number of community members involved? How to we communicate to the max number of people?
        • Primary is website and Facebook group. We need to decide what we want to engage in. We can then reach out to people who are not online but may be interested in getting involved.

Treasurer’s report

Cherie, our treasurer, is traveling right now, so this is a quick summary as of when she departed. She will updte at our next public meeting.

  • Expenses for 2016
    • Had to renew business license for 2015 and 2016 - $112.00
    • Had to pay late fee for 2015 business license - $40.00
    • Final payment to bookkeeper - $62.50
      • Note: we will not be outsourcing the bookkeeping work going forward
    • Posters and banner - $320.67
    • Quickbooks for non-profits purchase - $50
    • Attorney fees: compliance review - $597.00
    • Attorney fees: revision of by-laws - $500.00

Call for new projects

  • MVCC wants to hear what projects members are interested in pursuing. We’d like to get committees started for the most needed ones. Ideally, they’d initially be small projects we can get done in a short amount of time.
  • Penelope has applied for an art in the park grant to feature music / performance in a nearby park in December. There is a city portal with all various grants available. (http://www.seattle.gov/services-and-information/grants-and-funding)
  • Penelope has been investigating getting a farmers market in the area. Previous officers of MVCC have done some investigation on this; Catherine has more info.
  • Food “gleaning” – collecting unused produce from neighborhood gardens and redistributing it to neighbors in need – could be fruit tree harvesting and maintenance.
  • “Pitch in” days – helping neighbors who are physically unable to do yardwork, housecleaning, etc.
  • Greenways project (led by Bob Edmonton in Madison Park)
  • Earthquake preparedness committee
  • Ongoing projects (from Catherine Nunneley)
    • Friends of Julia Lee Park group
    • Opening field house in Arboretum for community use
    • William Cumming painting – currently being spruced up

Adjourned 8.05pm.

15 November 2016